Get away from it all...
Wild Camping in Norfolk
Alderfen Marshes offers a number of sites ideal for wild camping in Norfolk. Situated in nine acres of beautiful wilderness in the Norfolk Broads National Park, the marshes offer a perfect setting to experience nature at its best. Accessible only on foot or by canoe, it’s an opportunity to get back to basics and close to nature.
As well as providing accommodation during team development programmes, our wild camping sites are also available for taking time out from your daily hustle and bustle. Nature lovers can enjoy close encounters with herons, muntjac, otters, marsh harriers, buzzards, swans, water deer, foxes, bats and more. In the Summer time, enjoy a natural world teeming with butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies.
Kick back, relax, and enjoy the experience of the wild camping on the Norfolk Broads.
Back to basics…
- No mains water …. fresh water delivered to site
- No electricity …. light provided by sun, moon and stars
- No wifi …. tweets provided by the dawn chorus
- No mains drains … clean, off-grid toilets provided
- No site car access … accessible on foot from car park or by canoe
- No dogs … nesting birds, water voles and other sensitive wildlife
- No children … over 18s only
- No mess … only footprints are left behind
- Private use of Alderfen Marshes
- Choose from, or move between, ‘three degrees of wild’
- Group bookings welcome (up to eight people)
- Up to four people per site
- Parking for two cars
- Private canoe mooring - £3.00 per night
- Canadian canoe hire from site
- Sustainably sourced firewood for sale
3 Degrees of ‘Wild’
Choose from three approaches to wild camping on Alderfen Marshes
The Marsh Camps
‘Go wild in the country…’
Head out onto Alderfen Marshes to really get away from it all; perfect for nature-lovers who like to walk on the wild side. Pitch your tent on the marshes and relax by your camp fire, surrounded by the sights and sounds of the Norfolk Broads.
Marsh Camp Prices
£30 a night for up to two campers
£9.00 a night per additional camper
(maximum of six campers)
Camp and Canoe Combo - £99.00
The Woodland Camp
‘With a few creature comforts…’
Off-grid camping on the edge of Alderfen Marshes with a few creature comforts. Pitch your tent by the woodland shelter, with camp beds, stools, fire bowl and a wood-fired rocket stove provided. A great base for exploring the marshes and surrounding waterways.
Woodland Camp Prices
£35 a night for up to two campers
£11.00 a night per additional camper
(maximum of four campers)
Camp and Canoe Combo - £109.00
The Green Room Camp
‘Add a little luxury…’
Folding beds for two people, comfortable seating, solar powered lighting, wood fired rocket stove for cooking and a wood-burner enable you to relax in comfort whilst maintaining your wild, off-grid experience. Additional camp-beds are available for two people.
Green Room Camp Prices
£45 a night for up to two campers
£15.00 a night per additional camper
(maximum of four campers)
Camp and Canoe Combo - £129.00
Camp and Canoe Combo: 2 nights camping for 2 people with 2 days Canadian canoe hire.
Local Amenities / Places of Interest
- Surlingham Village Shop: providing basic necessities: a 5 minute drive or a 15 minute walk across the village
- Farm Shop: providing locally produced meat and veg; a 5 minute drive or a 20 minute walk
- Time-share Swimming Pool: call and book a slot for a refreshing swim
- Ted Ellis Nature Reserve at Wheatfen, Surlingham: beautiful nature walks in unspoilt marsh habitat; a five minute drive or 20 minute walk
- Bargate & Surlingham Broads: 5 minute paddle from Alderfen Marshes, explore the labyrinth of waterways as you make your way out to the River Yare and beyond
- Norwich: 15 minute drive or 30 minutes by bus
Need a lift?
Ask us about minibus transport to and from Alderfen Marshes.
Thanks ever so much for allowing us to stay overnight at your lovely little nature haven. Will hope to visit again and next time with one of your wonderful Canadian canoes