Get away from it all...
Wild Camping in Norfolk
Alderfen Marshes offers a number of private sites, ideal for wild camping in Norfolk. Situated in six acres of beautiful wilderness in the Norfolk Broads National Park, the marshes offer a perfect setting to experience nature at its best. Accessible only on foot or by canoe, it’s an opportunity to get back to basics and close to nature.
Our private wild-camping sites are perfect for taking time away from your daily hustle and bustle. Nature lovers can enjoy close encounters with herons, muntjac, otters, marsh harriers, buzzards, swans, water deer, foxes, bats and more. In the summer time, enjoy a natural world teeming with butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies.
Kick back, relax, and enjoy the experience of the wild camping on the Norfolk Broads.
Back to basics…
- No mains water …. fresh water delivered to site
- No electricity …. light provided by sun, moon and stars
- No wifi …. tweets provided by the dawn chorus
- No mains drains … clean, off-grid toilets provided
- No site car access … accessible on foot from car park or by canoe
- No dogs … nesting birds, water voles and other sensitive wildlife
- No children … over 18s only
- Four private pitches on Alderfen Marshes
- Up to four people per private pitch
- Private area of nature reserve around each pitch
- Access to shared areas including picnic table and woodland shelter
- Canadian canoe and kayak hire from site
- Trollies provided for transporting equipment to your pitch
- Sustainably sourced firewood for sale
‘Go wild in the country…’
Head out onto Alderfen Marshes to really get away from it all; perfect for nature-lovers who like to walk on the wild side.
Pitch your tent on the marshes and relax, surrounded by the sights and sounds of nature on the Norfolk Broads.
Provided at each pitch - for your private use:
- Fire-bowl - relax around the camp-fire
- Portable toilet
Use the trollies provided to collect your fire-wood, fresh water, fresh eggs (courtesy of our free-range bantams) and other stores from the supplies marquee, a short walk across the marsh paths from your private pitch.
Private Pitch Prices
£30 a night for up to two campers
£9.00 a night per additional camper
Three nights for the price of two on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday nights
Camp and Canoe Combo
£99 for 2 nights camping for 2 people including two days Canadian canoe hire
Includes exclusive access to all six acres of Alderfen Marshes for up to 8 people: £140 per night.
Local Amenities / Places of Interest
- Surlingham village shop and post office provides basic necessities: a 5 minute drive or a 15 minute walk across the village
- Coldham Hall and Surlingham Ferry: Two picturesque riverside pubs within half a mile by road or a short paddle by canoe
- Yare Valley Farm Shop: providing local produce; a 5 minute drive or a 20 minute walk
- Time-share Swimming Pool: call and book a slot for a refreshing swim
- Ted Ellis Nature Reserve at Wheatfen, Surlingham: beautiful nature walks in unspoilt marsh habitat; a 5 minute drive or 20 minute walk
- Winbirri vineyard - award winning wines and a genuine enthusiasm for English wine; a 5 minute drive or 20 minute walk
- Bargate & Surlingham Broads: 10 minute paddle from Alderfen Marshes, explore the labyrinth of waterways as you make your way out to the River Yare and beyond
- Situated on the Wherryman’s Way walk
- RSPB Reserve at Surlingham Church Marsh
- Norwich: 15 minute drive or 30 minutes by bus
Need a lift?
Ask us about minibus transport to and from Alderfen Marshes.
Thanks ever so much for allowing us to stay overnight at your lovely little nature haven. Will hope to visit again and next time with one of your wonderful Canadian canoes