On Alderfen Marshes
Camping and canoeing on Alderfen Marshes
The ‘Camp & Canoe Combo’ on Alderfen Marshes offers secluded wild camping pitches with use of your own Canadian canoe to come and go as you please.
Situated in six acres of beautiful wilderness within the Norfolk Broads National Park, the marshes provide an excellent setting to get away from it all.
Great for nature lovers who want to get close to local wildlife and wake up to a sensational dawn chorus over the marshes.
Awarded ‘Best Couples Campsite in the East of England 2018’ by Campsites.co.uk, Alderfen Marshes provides an idillic rural getaway for couples.
Groups of up to eight adults can enjoy exclusive use of the marshes, catching up and spending time together in a remote rural setting.
Get away from it all…
Once settled into your own private pitch, you may choose to relax around your campfire and enjoy the natural surroundings or take to the canoes, which provide your transport on and off site for the duration of your stay.
Explore the labyrinth of secluded waterways or make your way along the river to visit a choice of welcoming, picturesque riverside pubs with RSPB nature reserves providing a scenic backdrop to your journey.
Tidal waterways add to the ever-changing environment on the marsh with some of the paths being submerged at high tide. Tide tables are provided to help you plan your best walking and paddling times.
Master the art of cooking over a rocket stove, under the stars, for a real wild camping experience.
'Camp & Canoe Combo' package includes:
- Minibus transport – free collection from and drop off to Norwich
- Private pitch on Alderfen Marshes (exclusive use of the marshes for group bookings)
- Canadian canoe hire (includes buoyancy aids, paddles and maps)
- Fire bowl (four bowls for group bookings)
- Wood fuelled rocket-stove for cooking (four stoves for group bookings)
- Fresh drinking water
- Clean, portable, private off-grid toilet
- Trollies for transporting equipment
Travelling light? Optional extras available
- Tent hire: two-person tent £20 per stay (Must be pre-booked)
- Camp bed hire: £7 each per stay (Must be pre-booked)
- Small table and two stools: £5 per stay (Must be pre-booked)
- Pot, pan, kettle, plates, cups and cutlery: £5 per stay (Must be pre-booked)
- Portable camping shower: £6.00 per stay
- Firewood: £6 for large sack
- Fresh milk available to purchase on site
- Have your supermarket food order delivered to site: £5 per order
Back to basics ...
- No mains water …. fresh water provided on site
- No electricity …. light provided by sun, moon and stars
- No wifi …. tweets provided by the dawn chorus
- No mains drains … clean, off-grid toilets provided
- No car access … minibus transport from Norwich or accessible by canoe
- No dogs … nesting birds, water voles and other sensitive wildlife
- No children … over 18s only
2 nights wild-camping pitch on Alderfen Marshes
£80.00 for 2 adults
Extra night £30.00
Extra person £20.00 per night
Camp & Canoe Combo
2 nights wild-camping for 2 adults with 2 days Canadian canoe hire
Extra night £50.00
Extra person £30.00 per night
Group Camp & Canoe Combo
Camping for up to 8 adults with Canadian canoe hire & exclusive use of Alderfen Marshes
£200 per night
Groups Arriving by Canoe
Wild-camping for up to 8 adults arriving by canoe, with exclusive use of Alderfen Marshes
£120 per night
Site open for wild-camping from Friday 5th April to Sunday 20th October 2019
'Camping and Carving' Weekends
- Friday night wild-camping pitch on Alderfen Marshes conservation area
- “Introduction to Green Woodcarving” spoon-carving workshop on Saturday from 9.30 – 4.30
£99 per person or £150 for two people sharing a tent
Camp, Carve and Canoe … Add Saturday night camping with a Sunday morning Canadian canoe trail:
£35 per person or £50 for two people sharing a tent
2019 'Camping and Carving' Dates
Friday 26th April
Friday 10th May
Friday 7th June
Small group workshops:
Maximum of six people per weekend
Alderfen Marshes is situated on the Norfolk Broads, well off the beaten track; enhancing your wild-camping experience.
Public transport is the simplest way, with free minibus collection and drop-off from Norwich train and bus station included. Canadian canoes, also included in the ‘camp and canoe combo’, provide your transport on and off site during your stay.
Canoe access is the greenest way, if you prefer to arrive at Alderfen Marshes in your own canoe.
By train: Norwich train station is less that two hours from London Liverpool Street station and has excellent links across the country. Free collection and drop-off at Norwich train station is included.
By bus: Norwich bus station offers a convenient and cost-effective way to travel. Free collection and drop-off at Norwich bus station is included.
By canoe: Access by canoe is just a ten minute paddle from the river Yare at Brundall with clear maps to guide you to Alderfen Marshes’ mooring pontoon.
By car: There are limited car parking spaces at Alderfen Marshes.
On foot: Although there is no pedestrian access to Alderfen Marshes, the Wherryman’s Way footpath can be reached easily by canoe, with access to nature reserves, a farm shop, pubs and other areas of interest.