Camping and canoeing
On Alderfen Marshes
Camping and canoeing on Alderfen Marshes
The ‘Camp & Canoe Combo’ on Alderfen Marshes offers secluded wild camping pitches with use of your own Canadian canoe to come and go as you please.
Situated in six acres of beautiful wilderness within the Norfolk Broads National Park, the marshes provide an excellent setting to get away from it all.
Great for nature lovers who want to get close to local wildlife and wake up to a sensational dawn chorus over the marshes.
Awarded ‘Best Couples Campsite in the East of England 2018’ by Campsites.co.uk, Alderfen Marshes provides an idillic rural getaway for couples.
Groups of up to eight adults can enjoy exclusive use of the marshes, catching up and spending time together in a remote rural setting.
Get away from it all…
Once settled into your own private pitch, you may choose to relax around your campfire and enjoy the natural surroundings or take to the canoes, which provide your transport on and off site for the duration of your stay.
Explore the labyrinth of secluded waterways or make your way along the river to visit a choice of welcoming, picturesque riverside pubs with RSPB nature reserves providing a scenic backdrop to your journey.
Tidal waterways add to the ever-changing environment on the marsh with some of the paths being submerged at high tide. Tide tables are provided to help you plan your best walking and paddling times.
Master the art of cooking over a rocket stove, under the stars, for a real wild camping experience.
'Camp & Canoe Combo' package includes:
- Minibus transport – collection from and drop off to Norwich
- Private pitch on Alderfen Marshes (exclusive use of the marshes for group bookings)
- Canadian canoe hire (includes buoyancy aids, paddles and maps)
- Fire bowl (four bowls for group bookings)
- Wood fuelled rocket-stove for cooking (four stoves for group bookings)
- Fresh drinking water
- Clean, portable, private off-grid toilet
- Trollies for transporting equipment
- Bin bags and recycling box – sorted rubbish can be disposed of on site
Travelling light? Optional extras available
- Tent hire: two-person tent £20 per stay (Must be pre-booked)
- Camp bed hire: £7 each per stay (Must be pre-booked)
- Small table and stools: £5 per stay (Must be pre-booked)
- Pot, pan, kettle, plates, cups and cutlery: £5 per stay (Must be pre-booked)
- Firewood: £6 for large sack
- Fresh milk & non-perishable foods available to purchase on site
- Have your supermarket food order delivered to site (group bookings only)
Back to basics ...
- No mains water …. fresh water provided on site
- No electricity …. light provided by sun, moon and stars
- No wifi …. tweets provided by the dawn chorus
- No mains drains … clean, off-grid toilets provided
- No car access … minibus transport from Norwich or accessible by canoe
- No dogs … nesting birds, water voles and other sensitive wildlife
- No children … over 18s only
Camp & Canoe Combo
2 nights wild-camping for 2 adults with 2 days Canadian canoe hire
Extra night £50.00
Extra person £30.00 per night
Group Camp & Canoe Combo
Camping for up to 8 adults with Canadian canoe hire & exclusive use of Alderfen Marshes
£200 per night
Groups Arriving by Canoe
Wild-camping for up to 8 adults arriving by canoe, with exclusive use of Alderfen Marshes
£120 per night
Site open for wild-camping from Friday 5th April to Sunday 20th October 2019
Alderfen Marshes is situated on the Norfolk Broads, well off the beaten track; enhancing your wild-camping experience.
Public transport is the simplest way, with minibus collection and drop-off from Norwich train and bus station included in the price. Canadian canoes, also included, provide your transport on and off site during your stay.
Canoe access is the greenest way, if you prefer to arrive at Alderfen Marshes in your own canoe.
By train: Norwich train station is less that two hours from London Liverpool Street station and has excellent links across the country. Collection and drop-off at Norwich train station is included in the price.
By bus: Norwich bus station offers a convenient and cost-effective way to travel. Collection and drop-off at Norwich bus station is included in the price.
By canoe: Access by canoe is just a ten minute paddle from the river Yare at Brundall with clear maps to guide you to Alderfen Marshes’ mooring pontoon.
By car: There are limited car parking facilities at Alderfen Marshes. Long-stay car parking can be pre-booked at the NCP car park at Norwich airport – minibus collection and drop-off from this car park is included in the price.
On foot: Although there is no pedestrian access to Alderfen Marshes, the Wherryman’s Way footpath can be reached easily by canoe, with access to nature reserves, a farm shop, pubs and other areas of interest.