Wild Camping in Norfolk
Wild Camping and Canoeing on the Norfolk Broads
Situated in six acres of beautiful wilderness within the Norfolk Broads National Park, Alderfen Marshes provide the perfect setting for wild camping in Norfolk.
Great for nature lovers who want to get close to local wildlife and wake up to a sensational dawn chorus over the marshes.
The ‘Camp & Canoe Combo’ on Alderfen Marshes offers private, secluded wild camping with use of your own Canadian canoe to come and go as you please.
Wild Camping in Norfolk: Back to basics…
Once settled into your own private pitch, you may choose to relax around your campfire and enjoy the natural surroundings. On the other hand, you may prefer to wander the marsh paths or take to the canoes and explore the labyrinth of secluded waterways.
- No mains water but fresh drinking water supplied on site
- No electricity; light provided alternatively by sun, moon and stars
- No wifi, tweets courtesy of the dawn chorus instead
- No mains drains; clean, off-grid toilet included with each pitch
- No vehicles on pitches, however trollies are provided from private car park
- No dogs due to nesting birds, water voles and other sensitive wildlife
- No children. Over 18s only; especially suited to couples
Private Secluded Pitches
First and foremost, Alderfen Marshes offers the ultimate in privacy whilst wild camping in Norfolk. Each pitch sits in its own private area of nature reserve, accessed by a path winding through the marshes in order to really get away from it all.
The fire-bowl and wood-fired rocket stove provided means that you simply pitch your tent, sit back, relax and enjoy some personal space surrounded by nature. Explore the paths through the surrounding conservation area in order to get close to the local wildlife.
Camp and Canoe
Come and go as you please in your Canadian canoe, exploring the tranquil backwaters of Surlingham Broad. The picturesque riverside pubs on the river Yare add to the peaceful surroundings of the Norfolk Broads.
Camp and Canoe Includes:
- Private, secluded pitch on Alderfen Marshes
- Canadian canoe, with buoyancy aids and maps
- Fire bowl
- Wood fuelled rocket stove for cooking
- Fresh drinking water
- Clean, portable, private off-grid toilet
- Trollies for transporting equipment
- Car parking space
Two nights for two adults: £150.00
Three nights for two adults: £210.00
2021 Opening Dates
17th of May to the 19th of September 2021.
Travelling light? Equipment available to hire on site...
- 3 metre Tipi Tent: £30.00 per night
- Cooking grill for fire-bowl: £3.00 per night
- Small table and two stools: £3.50 per night
- Large table with bench and two stools: £5.00 per night
- Camping kettle, 2 saucepans and frying pan: £3.50 per night
- Two plates, bowls, cups, cutlery, tin & bottle openers: £3.50 per night
- Portable camping shower: £3.50 per night
- Campfire wood: £5.00 per bin
- Cool-box with ice blocks: £3.50 per night
- Comfy hammock (single) with stand: £15.00 per night
- Rain shelter tarp (3m x 4m) with poles: £7.50 per night
Try your hand at spoon-carving during your stay...
A half-day spoon carving experience exclusively for campers. Learn the basics of spoon-carving, creating your own unique spoon, using wood sourced sustainably from Alderfen Marshes.
Pick and choose the time which best fit in with other activities during your stay
£30.00 for one person or £50.00 for two people.
Within a mile of Alderfen Marshes...
As well as having the tranquility of Surlingham Broad on our doorstep, we are surrounded by fantastic local amenities within easy walking (and in some cases paddling) distance.