Wild-Camping and Canoeing
On Alderfen Marshes
Get away from it all with camping and canoeing on Alderfen Marshes
The ‘Camp & Canoe Combo’ on Alderfen Marshes offers private, secluded camping pitches with use of your own Canadian canoe to come and go as you please.
Situated in six acres of beautiful wilderness within the Norfolk Broads National Park, the marshes provide an excellent setting to get away from it all.
Great for nature lovers who want to get close to local wildlife and wake up to a sensational dawn chorus over the marshes.
Awarded ‘Best Couples Campsite in the East of England 2018’ by Campsites.co.uk, Alderfen Marshes provides an idillic rural getaway for couples.
Groups of up to eight adults can enjoy exclusive use of the marshes, catching up and spending time together in a remote rural setting.
Wild-Camping: Back to basics…
Once settled into your own private pitch, you may choose to relax around your campfire and enjoy the natural surroundings, wander the marsh paths or take to the canoes and explore the labyrinth of secluded waterways.
- No mains water …. fresh water provided on site
- No electricity …. light provided by sun, moon and stars
- No wifi …. tweets provided by the dawn chorus
- No mains drains … clean, off-grid toilets provided
- Limited car access … minibus transport from Norwich
- No dogs … nesting birds, water voles and other sensitive wildlife
- No children … over 18s only
Master the art of cooking over a rocket stove, under the stars, for a real wild camping experience.
'Camp & Canoe Combo' package:
- Private pitch on Alderfen Marshes
- Canadian canoe hire (includes buoyancy aids, paddles and maps)
- Fire bowl
- Wood fuelled rocket-stove for cooking
- Fresh drinking water
- Clean, portable, private off-grid toilet
- Minibus transport – free collection and drop off to Norwich
- Trollies for transporting equipment
Travelling light? Optional extras available
- Spacious three-metre tipi tent: £30 per stay (Must be pre-booked)
- Small table and two stools: £6 per stay
- Large table with seats: £10.00 per stay
- Kettle, two saucepans, one frying pan: £5.00 per stay
- Two plates, bowls and cups; cutlery, tin opener, bottle opener: £3 per stay
- Portable camping shower: £6 per stay
- Campfire wood: £6 per large sack
- Have your supermarket food order delivered to site: £5 per order
Camping and Canoeing prices
Camp & Canoe Combo
2 nights wild-camping for 2 adults with 2 days Canadian canoe hire
Extra night £50.00
Extra person £30.00 per night
Enjoy the privacy of a secluded pitch away from other campers
£40 per night for up to two adults
Extra person £15.00 per night
Minimum two-night stay at weekends
‘40 Best UK Campsites 2019′
Canadian canoe hire available for campers and local members.
Explore Surlingham Broad and surrounding waterways, stopping off at nearby riverside pubs or enjoying a peaceful paddle around the local nature reserves.
Two-person canoe: £30.00 for the first 2 hours plus £5.00 per extra hour
Three-person canoe: £40.00 for the first 2 hours plus £7.00 per extra hour
By train: Norwich train station is less that two hours from London Liverpool Street station and has excellent links across the country. Free minibus collection and drop-off at Norwich train station is included.
By bus: Norwich bus station offers a convenient and cost-effective way to travel. Free minibus collection and drop-off at Norwich bus station is included.
By canoe: Access by canoe is just a ten minute paddle from the river Yare at Brundall with clear maps to guide you to Alderfen Marshes’ mooring pontoon.
By car: There are limited car parking spaces at Alderfen Marshes.
On foot: Alderfen Marshes is situated on the ‘Wherryman’s Way’ footpath, with easy access to nature reserves, a farm shop, pubs, local vineyard and other areas of interest.